The general response to this question I have seen is as follows :
 - spend time improving your app, not the copy protection - it will
get hacked anyway
 - storing gmail or ime numbers is against data protection act

Personally I feel everyone is entitled to try and protect their apps
and would take the dev's not the pirate's side, but beware of stepping
into a lion's den as I saw someone do before.

I would add that any attempt you make is likely to fail as google
checkout is the only viable mechanism of selling apps in volume and it
doesn't give any mechanisms to associate a purchased non-refunded
payment with an apk. Until Google does this, I think most other
attempts will be a waste of time.