The SmsManager class' method to send is:
void      sendTextMessage(String destinationAddress, String scAddress,
String text, Intent sentIntent, Intent deliveryIntent, Intent
failedIntent)

The intent handlers for delivery and failure implies that this method
sends messages interactively.

I am working on an app for gathering data which would be sent via SMS.
My question is, can I not send my messages to the device's built-in
SMS application? That way I don't have to worry about
a) Failure to send due to no/poor signal
b) Failure due to insufficient balance for prepaid connections

because in both of the above cases my instance would be freed up and
the messages would go through whenever the phone re-enters coverage
area or the user tops up his balance.