This is totally achievable.  The accelerometer gives you a force
vector.  All you have to do is sample that vector and you can convert
it into whatever rotational system you'd like (euler, quats or
otherwise).

You could easily write a file exporter that exports the movement
sequence.  If you want to make life easy, you could write an xml
exporter that can write to the xml animation format that max
understands.

Otherwise there are other options for files including a proprietary
type so long as you write an importer for max.

Droid and Nexus Ones both have decent 3D chips.  The G1-class phones
are a little lacking on 3D power but can do basic stuff fine.  There
are a few phones with no GPU and those use a software renderer which
works ok for HW-accel 2D but not well real 3D.