Well the new IPhone supports OpenGL ES 2.0, so I'm sure my droid could
too!  8)

But guys, OpenGL ES 1.0 was only released in 2003. It was OpenGL 1.0
which was in 1992 I believe. From the IO webisodes it seems that there
is no plans to implement ES 2.0 and use 1.1 ES extensions at your own
risk, as only 1.0 ES are garenteed to be supported in the future, well
that is if I understood the IO right, I kind of zoned out after a
while!  ;)

The ES version is an optimised version for embedded devices by the
way, so it's not all doom and gloom!

First I would get yourself the Android Pro book, which will very
breifly explan about how to set up the Surface View and EGL, etc, and
will get you up and running at least. Then you should be able to find
some tutorials or start working through the Redbook.

Good luck! T.