Of course, 2 minutes after posting this, I see the twisted path of how
to specify the 1.5 target.
I get, however, an exception (VerifyError) on a call to my TTS
wrapper.  I think this might be because I modified the nature of this
slightly, and in a way that alters the delicate balance of the
example.

Let me tweak it back and fuss a bit more.  Your claims of success
inspire me to see what I might have done wrong.

tone