For the experts listening...

I have a background service running and I sometimes, but not always,
receive the following error when clicking on a notification, which
opens the main App activity.

WakeLock finalized while still held

In my search for an answer, I read the post below:

http://www.mail-archive.com/android-beginn...@googlegroups.com/msg16051.html

While it appears to make sense technically, it doesn't work for this
app.  Like scanning for voicemail, this background service needs to
constantly, and forever, stay alert - checking the server every few
minutes for notifications.

So my questions are:

1.) Why is GC coming after my WakeLock (or is after my service?), just
b/c someone clicked on a notification it launched?

2.) Can I prevent GC from messing w/ my PowerManager object and my
service?

3.) is there a way to have the service running indefinitely w/ an
indefinite WakeLock?

I understand the answer, if there is a sutiable one, probably doesn't
fit most apps out there.  For that reason, it may not even make sense
to provide the answer, since every user from here on out will be able
to find it and leave their services running indefinitely.  But I need
to, so please email me privately if you can.