Thank you for your reply, Mark!

My code checks for the types of focus available on the phone and calls
'autoFocus(...)' only when available and needed. Even so, the SDK
documentation says that for devices that don't have auto-focus, the
callback specified in the call to 'autoFocus(callback)' will be called
immediately as if autofocus has been obtained. Quote from the JavaDoc
on developer.android.com:

"If the camera does not support auto-focus, it is a no-op and
onAutoFocus(boolean, Camera) callback will be called immediately."

However, the link below says the HTC Hero for Sprint has autofocus:
http://www.htc.com/us/products/hero-sprint#tech-specs

Given all this, the IOException should not be thrown... But,
obviously, it is :=)
I patched the issue with catching the IOException and calling
'onAutoFocus(boolean,Camera)' in the catch-clause.

I tested my app thouroughly on the emulator, G1, N1 and a Moto Droid
and spent some time testing it on a Samsung Behold and a Motorola
CLIQ. I haven't had access to a Hero and I have not been able to
reproduce this error myself. Instead, I got one stack-trace e-mailed
to me automatically from a customer running an HTC Hero on Sprint
(users can agree to submit these error-reports/stack-traces
automatically when the app force-closes)....

... which means that my patch may not work (i couldn't test it). This
has been the only stack-trace sent to me with this particular problem.
If other customers have HTC Heros, then they haven't encountered the
problem (yet).

I don't use <uses-feature>, because my app should work on phone
witouth auto-focus.

Can i send you a debug version of my app to your e-mail address?

Thank you very much for your reply and help, Mark.

-- Anton