Experts (and of course Mark M):

Here I go into the world of Android App deployment, and I have a question
about deployment strategy.

I know I will have a "lite" version and a full version.  In fact, I just
finished the full version and will start removing some core functionality
and putting in some minor restrictions into the so-called "lite" version.
The restrictions are simple things like a limited number of records which
can be created, for example.

I have several options.  I could of course:

1.) Create an entirely new project, copy the code base, and remove (comment
in/out) some of the features or restrictions into the lite version.

2.) I could two copies of the code base, which are identical in every way
but a setting in a configuration XML file, which turns on/off certain
functionality.

However, the two scenarios above both suck from a code management
perspective.  I would prefer and am asking to see if it's possible or even
been thought of:

Upload my application to the market as two versions of the EXACT same
codebase (configurations and all).  When installed on the phone, the market
would add an extra tag describing the version number or name of the
downloaded app version.  Then I could program that into the app, not from a
configuration file which would mean I need two separate projects.

Some flag I could access, for example:

If (System.Apps.MyAppName.VersionTag.equals("Free-1.0")) {

  // restrict usage of this feature since free app

} else {

  // allow usage of this feature for full version

}

Thanks,
Nick Owens
VP, ThreeClix