It seems like it should be possible to have 2 apps signed with same
certificate.
See the info below.  If your paid app exposed functionality to your free app
you would get the free/paid goal.
The free app would check whether paid app was installed, if it was it would
be used.  If not an upgrade message would be displayed.

This was mentioned at the Android Developer Lab in NYC, but I have not seen
any sample code.  It would be nice to take this from concept to example.

http://developer.android.com/intl/zh-CN/guide/publishing/app-signing.html
*
Code/data sharing through permissions – The Android system provides
signature-based permissions enforcement, so that an application can expose
functionality to another application that is signed with a specified
certificate. By signing multiple applications with the same certificate and
using signature-based permissions checks, your applications can share code
and data in a secure manner.*

--
Carmen
http://www.twitter.com/CarmenDelessio