Very few of my activities used onStart and onStop until recently when
I instrumented my application with Flurry Analytics.  If you follow
the Flurry instrumentation instructions then you add calls to notify
Flurry about your application activity in the onStart and onStop
methods for every one of your activities.  I am not sure what impact
it will have on the Flurry statistics gathering if these routines
don't get called.

I have had users reporting problems with my application on 2.1 phones
which may be related to the service life cycle not behaving properly
on these phones.  I don't currently have a 2.1 phone to test this on
(I am waiting to get my device seeding phone).  I built an
instrumented beta build that will log the service life cycle
information for me, and am waiting for a customer to run the
instrumented beta build on their 2.1 phone and send me back the
logcat, so I can see if there is a similar issue with services.