On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, westmeadboy <westmead...@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> If an app needs to download some critical data (without the data it
> cannot function) of several MB, what is the best practice?

How much is "several" MB? While you should definitely try to keep the app
size down, a few megs isn't going to be a deal breaker. The Google Maps app
is 6MB for example. Of course, you have to question whether your app is so
awesome people are going to sacrifice that much space for it. When my phone
gets low on space, the biggest ones I don't use that often are the first to
go.

Like Yahel said, you should have *some* default data so your app can do
*something* right off the bat. It's unlikely you'll need all of the several
MB of data immediately, so you could also do downloading of stuff on-demand
as it's required. If it exists locally, use it, if not, try to download it
and put some default content in it's place until it's ready.

> Is a service absolutely essential for this?

If you decide that you must load everything up front before you can do
anything, then yeah, probably use a Service - ideally with an ongoing
notification letting the user know the progress and an option to cancel if
they wish.