I understand that the RESULT_* flags are only used within the
ResultReceiver.  That is, you implement a ResultReceiver and then the
framwork will call its send() method with the result of the attempt to
either show or hide the IME.  So the options for showing the IME are
SHOW_FORCE and SHOW_IMPLICIT (the docs say that 0 is also possible,
but I don't know what this indicates, or whether the docs are correct
as it also states that the only other optio is SHOW_IMPLICIT).

When you say you're running in fullscreen, do you mean in portrait or
in landscape?  There's a bug where the adjustResize manifest flag (you
do have that in place for you Activity don't you, as it's required to
get the the callbacks? An alternative is the
SOFT_INPUT_ADJUST_RESIZE flag on the Window) is ignored if
FLAG_FULLSCREEN is also applied to the Window.  Defect is here:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5497