There is no such thing as a "self-closing" XML tag.

The two lines below -- original and your "SHOULD BE" version -- are
100% equivalent, and parsers will not distinguish between them.

The standard is at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml11-20060816/

if you'd like to verify.

HTML is a different story -- and when writing XHTML, sometimes you
have to consider that it may be parsed by an HTML parser instead of an
XML parser, so there are times when you must write, for example,

and other times when you must write

<script ...></script>

to avoid mistakes by these legacy HTML parsers not properly
understanding the syntax. However, that's simply a practical
consideration dealing with old browsers, and has no relevance here.