Apologies for cross-posting with StackOverflow, but I'm getting a bit
desperate. I'll cross-post any final answer too.

Please could anyone suggest an approach for transferring a >2MB video
from a ContentResolver into a Bytestream, without running out of
memory?

See question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2599305/android-outofmemoryerror-while-uploading-video-how-best-to-chunk

Here's the current code, which throws an OutOfMemoryError on the
byteBuffer.write(buffer, 0, len) line when transferring large videos:

// get bytestream to upload
videoByteArray = getBytesFromFile(cR, fileUriString);

public static byte[] getBytesFromFile(ContentResolver cR, String
fileUriString) throws IOException {
    Uri tempuri = Uri.parse(fileUriString);
    InputStream is = cR.openInputStream(tempuri);
    byte[] b3 = readBytes(is);
    is.close();
    return b3;
}
public static byte[] readBytes(InputStream inputStream) throws
IOException {
    ByteArrayOutputStream byteBuffer = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
    // this is storage overwritten on each iteration with bytes
    int bufferSize = 1024;
    byte[] buffer = new byte[bufferSize];
    int len = 0;
    while ((len = inputStream.read(buffer)) != -1) {
        byteBuffer.write(buffer, 0, len);
    }
    return byteBuffer.toByteArray();
}