OK, I should have done this earlier. I created a new Android app in
Eclipse, added an onPause override in the activity containing nothing
but a single log message (and the super call), and ran it, and got
exactly the same behavior. This seems to be either a bug in Android
(I'm running 1.5), or I'm seriously misunderstanding something about
the activity lifecycle. Can anyone help? If anyone's actually reading
this, would you at least respond so I know I'm not shouting in the
dark here?

Aaron