once you reply from your app the message from that point onwards will be
directed to your app.

the reason for this is because the first message is not qualified with
resource so you first message will be something like

tar...@gtalk.com....and if target user is logged in from gtalk and your app
he will receive at both places.now when you app replies it will be qualified
with resource..so leverage resource to do point to point communication.

look at resource in xmpp specs

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Streets Of Boston
<flyingdutc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> i'm just throwing it out here.
> Have you looked into the SMACK library for Android?:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/asmack/
>

> On Apr 21, 4:17 am, SLY <sly.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am currently working on a project which requires a server to request
> > data from the devices which are currently connected to the server.
> > Meaning, first the server finds out which devices are connected to the
> > server and then sends an application specific message to the client
> > device which should wake certain functionality present on the client,
> > like for example send out its current location.
> >
> > I was looking into XMPP service which looked promising since it works
> > as a PUSH notification. The <presence> in XMPP can be used to check if
> > the device is currently connected and has subscribed to the server.
> > Since every android user has a gmail account, I was thinking of using
> > the gmail xmpp service to connect /subscribe to the server. Then send
> > specific message to the client, i.e x...@gmail.com. But if a message is
> > sent this way the client app gets the message as well as the native
> > gtalk client. So how do I go about intercepting this so that it
> > doesn't show up on the gtalk client but my app still gets it.
> >
> > I want the PUSH notification to work, not PUSH.
> >
> > Please do comment on the above approach. If there is another way to do
> > this, please do suggest.
> >
> > - SLY
> >
> > --
> groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

Regards,
Faizan