I have added one modification and snippet works on htc magic (1.5)

 final Uri CONTENT_URI = Uri.parse("content://sync/settings");
 ContentValues values = new ContentValues();
 values.put("name", "sync_provider_contacts");
 values.put("value", "true"); // <-- here - string "true" instead of
boolean
 getContentResolver().insert(CONTENT_URI, values);