I'm implementing a service that needs to be aware of locale changes.
This can currently be done by having the service listen to the
ACTION_CONFIGURATION_CHANGED intent. However, this intent occurs way
too often - orientation and keyboard changes etc.

Can we add a separate ACTION_LOCALE_CHANGED intent?

I'd suggest that in ActivityManagerSerivce.updateConfigurationLocked
(), after we broadcast a ACTION_CONFIGURATION_CHANGED, we also post a
ACTION_LOCALE_CHANGED (with the locale info),  if the configuration
update is related to a locale change. (This intent can perhaps be
sticky too).

This way, the service gets notified only of locale changes, and it
does not have to repeatedly process configuration changes and ignore a
majority of them as they are not related to locale.

Thoughts?

Thanks,