Greetings,

I am programmatically calling into ViewDebug through ViewServer with a
DUMP command.  My code does this over and over for a while, on the
order of 100 times over 3-4 minutes, then it hangs.

I have put log statements into ViewServer and ViewDebug, so I see that
when it hangs: ViewServer calls viewServerWindowCommand(), but
ViewDebug.dispatchCommand() does not get called.  So execution is
getting stuck somewhere in between.

I have a few clues.  First when this happens, DDMS seems to frequently
(always?) be reporting the message:

Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of:
com.android.internal.view.iinputmethodclient$stub$pr...@...

This message is displayed 16 times in my current DDMS log, so it's not
unusual, but this is the only time it is displayed *after*
viewServerWindowCommand() is called and *before*
ViewServer.dispatchCommand().  That's why I'm a little suspicious
there might be a race condition here.

Second, the phone application for which my code is fetching DUMPs is
the Calculator (com.android.calculator2).  This hang seems to
frequently (possibly always) happen after the calculator's menu
"Advanced Panel" is clicked.  The advanced panel is displayed on the
emulator/phone and the code is trying to DUMP this new view -- that's
when it hangs.  It is possible that the DUMP request could happen
while the Advanced Panel display is being rendered.  Note that the
code successfully goes through this same click-Advanced-panel then
DUMP sequence multiple times -- the hang does not always happen under
these circumstances.  But when the hang happens, it seems to mostly be
in this case.

Any help preventing this hang would be appreciated.

-Sam