Hi!

If we want to really embrace using the vibrator for haptic feedback, then I
certainly think it would be good to have a way to configure it with
different patterns by indices.  I wonder how much you think the approach of
using the vibrator is really worth though -- the current generic
implementation is only done for long presses, where accuracy is really not
needed at all.  However, when we use it for example in the keyboard on some
devices the vibrator is so "mushy" that the effect isn't really all that
good.

As far as the timing, yes this definitely needs to be improved.  I think
your idea of being able to submit the pattern to the HAL layer for it to do
the timing would be great.

Even better, I think, would be to have a driver for this as you suggest, and
just let each process open it and submit patterns to it.  This would require
that each process hold the vibrator permission though...  we'd need to
decide how much it is worth having that permission vs. having some other
scheme for accessing the hardware.  For example, an extravagant approach
could be to have the driver keep track of each client, with the window
manager able to tell it which of those is allowed to vibrate based on which
ones have visible windows.

The reason for the current routing through the window manager is that this
allows the window manager to do just this kind of control, rejecting calls
from windows that are not visible.  (Plus it allows customization in the
PhoneWindowManager, to use other hardware besides the vibrator that might be
available for haptics.)  But yeah, this is a pretty excessive amount of
overhead just to do haptics.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer