Yeah the emulator needs audio as I can produce some of the errors if
dissable my underlying audio  server services in Ubuntu.

What underlying audio server are you running..is it Pulse audio?

How does VB emulate the audio device?

if VB is unable to emulate the audio device correctly for the Andorid SDK
emulatoryou may be able to do it another way

I originally was going to run Ubuntu in VB in Windows Vista than the Androdi
emulator on top but choose instead to use Wubi to run Ubuntu on  top of MS
Vista. Wubi makes Ubuntu one large file under MS Windows and uses a boot
loader to boot into Ubuntu at startup but you do not go through the having
to do an extra partition stuff.

Yes, similar to the way LiveCD Linux distros work.