Hej George.

Since I'm trying the same (placing a service within the framework's
core) I'm interested in you issue.

Have you fixed the problem so far? If so: what was missing?

Under which path do you have your service class placed? Does DDMS
complain about not finding the class or the package?!

Please let me know.
Regards,
Patrick