Right now I'm working on a class project where I am collecting data to
profile a user in the kernel.  I've modified drivers/char/keyboard.c
to record data and provide a /proc entry to retrieve it.

I would like to be able to make a front end app that will be used to
view this data and tweak settings.  I'm a little uncertain how Dalvik
actually functions.  Does each app spawn a Dalvik VM or does the
Dalvik VM run all apps inside of it each with its own sandbox?  In
either case, does anyone know how I can route data from a proc entry
all the way up to the application level?

I can see in Dalvik/vm a proc entry being accessed and I could hack my
way up the chain until I get to the point where the data is consumed,
but I'd rather prefer a well thought out roadmap first.

Or is this question completely dumb?  I doubt that the VM allows the
app to open a File object on anything outside of the /sdcard
filesystem...or does it?