Have you actually tried opening a file outside of /sdcard? It just
works (and, uh, that's how applications can access their data as
stored in /data).

(Android relies on linux processes, not on the VM, to enforce
security. If the process is allowed to do it, there's no security
reason why an app running inside the VM wouldn't also be allowed to).

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.