On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:04 AM, pavan savoy <pavan.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to install a line discipline somehow from the kernel
> space it-self ?

What do you mean "install"?  Load a module?  Or something else?

> Why such an requirement you may ask - For every line discipline that
> needs to work over an ttyS, today linux requires a daemon, so if I
> have 3 uarts and have 3 different ldiscs on it, it just adds me 3
> daemons for no reason at all !!
> [those daemons do nothing but do an ioctl TIOCSETD and don't close the
> fd- to retain the line disc]

Is there some problem with these extra processes that they are causing you?

And those ldiscs are creating those daemons for a good reason, right?  If not,
then change ldisc to use one that does not have an extra process.

good luck,

greg k-h