perumal316 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I am a bit confused. Using strace I can trace the system calls
> made by applications. In Android I can do so through adb shell, but
> how to I do so for contacts and Messaging because have to specify
> "strace <app name>" for it to work. Any idea which command I have to
> use to see the system calls made in writing/deleting contacts or
> writing/deleting SMS ?

You still need to use strace.  You only use 'strace <app name>' when
you are using strace to start an applicaiton.  You can attach to an
existing (running) process, using 'strace -p <pid>'.  Use 'ps' to
find the process which is managing the contacts and messaging,
and use the appropriate pid.

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing it will be the process
with name 'android.process.acore', but I don't know anything
about the top layers of software here.

You'll have to figure out which process is actually managing
the data items you are interested in.  I suspect that what you'll
eventually see is file system activity from a sqlite library,
either directly from an app or from one of the system servers
on behalf of the app.
 -- Tim