The kernel mods, I agree need to be performed - I have the driver
source from device manufacturer (generically, for Linunx 2.6.x) and
currently in the middle or re-building the kernel.

But you raise a good question of the USB controller on the phone - I
assumed (most likely incorrectly...) that it would support the role of
a host.

trying the keyboard...