You need root access to change cpufreq values. I'm not sure if this is
available on the Google IO devices but try:

adb root

to switch into root mode, or adb su <foo>

userspace is not compiled into the kernel for the ADP2, you will need
to either compile a custom kernel, or just pin the min/max speeds to
the speed you wish to set.

-- Mike