Greg,

Sorry for the typo error, what I meant was if for some reason the
hardware
timers used for system time keeping stops, then we can make use of the
watchdogs to reset the system in that scenario.
As Mike mentioned it can also be used even to catch lockups and
trigger reset
(watchdog h/w can be configured to reset the core processor) or a
recovery
through a defined mechanism that can started in watchdog interrupt
handler
(watchdog h/w can be configured to generate interrupts).