On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Vesmar <ves...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So on Android the "????" process will tell to the zygote process to
> sys_clone (thread, fork or vfork?) and then the new zygote process
> will load the "????" using the "????" syscall. Does this new zygote
> will load a new dalvik image or just use the forkerd copy of the
> parent? As far as I can see, no execve syscall is made, so I suposed a
> forked copy is used. Is ii right?

The system process (running the activity manager) asks the zygote to fork a
new process.  Once the new process is forked, it tells the activity manager
it is ready, and the activity manager starts telling it what to do.  No exec
is involved.

> Aditionally why  binder threads are lauched? The only think I know
> about binder is it a new IPC mechanisms ported from BeOS, so they are
> kernel threads? does kernel thread uses the do_fork() kernel function
> too? I didn't found a sys_exit syscall for these threads.

The binder threads, as I said, are for a thread pool to handling incoming
IPCs.  They are threads, just like other threads, everything that is a
thread is a standard Linux thread.  And these threads don't exit (nor do
processes).

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer