I did try to use the Makefile included in magoroku's code to generate
the .ko file, but that didn't work.
So then I modified his Makefile to the following:

obj-m := displaylink.o
displaylink-y := displaylink-main.o displaylink-usb.o displaylink-
blit.o displaylink-fb.o displaylink-ioctl.o

all:
        $(MAKE) -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules
clean:
        rm -f *.o *.ko *.mod.* .*.cmd Module.symvers
        rm -rf .tmp_versions

That worked in the sense that it made a .ko file.  So then I copied
that to my Windows system (I'm running Ubuntu in a virtual machine and
I haven't gotten USB devices to work properly yet).  Then I used adb
to push the .ko file onto /system/lib/modules.

After that, I tried to insmod the .ko file and it gave me an EXEC
error failure.  I'm not sure if it was built wrong or if I need to
rebuild the whole android source, which is what I am trying right now.

NOTE:  this is on a rooted Motorola Droid running 2.1