On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM, jon.schell <jon.sch...@kyocera.com> wrote:
> 1. I'm using an LED driver for testing, it's not relevant to the
> issue.

Why isn't it relevant?  You are using a LED driver, which already
has a well-specified interface for interacting with userspace, why
are you trying to create a new one?  That will only break userspace
tools and is not allowed.

> 3. Do you have an alternate way to pass an array of binary data to a
> driver that doesn't have such a capability, like an LED driver?
> For an LED driver, this is useful if you wanted to send it a particular
> pattern of blinking to run at a faster rate than just setting it off/
> on from userspace could do, for example.

Are you sure the existing user/kernel api can't handle this already?
Are you wanting to do PWM with the LED to get it to change to different
values somehow?  If so, I think the existing interface can handle this
today, right?  Just set the different values in your driver beforehand.

thanks,

greg k-h