Just want to close out this thread with results/fixes.

Please see url -
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=08945730bbd7b22b&hl=en

This will give some information on how to fix these issues on Linux.

But in general, the correct udev settings are necessary and this help URL
indicated the tools you can use to discover that information with USB.

All my problems mentioned here were fixed and I can use ADB and Fastboot on
linux without having to setup TCP as was mentioned here in this thread. The
most importent changes are made inside the udev rules files to match your
device VID.

Also, no evidance that fastboot breaks ADB in anyway, as was mentioned in
this thread.

Hope this will help the next person that falls into this hole.

/mpd