Hello all. Very new to this world and trying to get a custom kernel to
load on my Nexus S device. I compiled the stock kernel sources from
the git repository using:

make ARCH=arm herring_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi- -j 4

That produced a zImage file in samsung/arch/arm/boot

I sent that to the device using:

sudo -E fastboot flash zimage samsung/arch/arm/boot/zImage

That produced this output:

sending 'zimage' (2730 KB)...
OKAY [  0.431s]
writing 'zimage'...
OKAY [  0.942s]
finished. total time: 1.373s

Then I reboot the device and it hangs at the Google boot screen with
the word "Google" in the middle of the screen and the ulocked padlock
icon at the bottom of the screen.

I am sure I am doing something stupid/ignorant but couldn't find any
info online that seemed to address this issue. Thanks for any help.