Hi,

I actually extended the if statement as follows:
if (file->private_data != NULL && file->private_data != &pmem[id].dev)

Also, at the beginning of the has_allocation function I changed the if
statement:
if (unlikely(!file->private_data || file->private_data == &pmem[id].dev))

At least for the scenarios I am using this is working just fine.

The only potential problem is that we are overriding the value that was
written by misc_open function. But, if I understand the the patch at
misc_open, it was added just in order to pass the miscdevice pointer to the
opened device. The opened device is not obligated to use that pointer, and
it can override the private_data if it wants to.
I also found few other misc drivers who are overriding the private_data
field.

Thanks,
         Shlomi