On Monday, August 22, 2011 5:23:33 PM UTC-4, Steve Modica wrote:

> I would like to use pppd to create a connection to a generic android
> device.
>
> I'd like the user to be able to enabled USB debugging, connect to my
> platform, and then use adb ppp to connect.
>
> From what I can tell, the default android kernel supports this. (CONFIG_PPP
> and the tty has ppp support).
>
> The problem is that pppd is not setuid.  So it cannot open /dev/tty.  That
> makes pppd pretty useless unless the phone is rooted.
>
> Can I create an apk to install a setuid pppd?

No, you can't.  The partitions an apk can write to are mounted with the
setuid bit disabled.  These are things you need to incorporate in a custom
build of android - the proper way is likely to have device file created with
an appropriate unix-level group to control access - possibly a custom one.

A "generic android device" doesn't have a tty suitable for connecting to an
external device anyway.  Sometimes there's a debug serial port in the
hardware, but you would need platform customizations or a non-secured (or
broken-into) build in order to access it.