I've been looking at adb ppp and I think Android has a bug.

pppd is root:shell.
/dev/tty is root:root
The default user is shell:shell

So it looks to me like /dev/tty *should* be root:shell and then adb ppp would
work to an unrooted android device. (with USB debugging enabled)
Why does /dev/tty need to be group "root"?

(/dev/tty works for ppp as well although the Nexus S kernel was unique in not
supporting ppp mode on the tty.  The Xoom works fine)

Steve

On Aug 24, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Chris Stratton wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:55:55 AM UTC-4, Steve Modica wrote:
> Would a more acceptable solution for the generic case be to use port
> forwarding and non-root apps that just access that port?
> In that way, we could create simple apps to access our embedded device router
> and not require setuid.
>
> Depends on what you are doing.  Are you making a custom version of android?
>
> If not, it's not clear how you can open any of this up, other than hope that
> the device is rooted (and in the common way you expect).
>
> If you are making a custom version of android, having a service that listens
> on a tcp port (to keep things local, on the loopback interface _only_ or
> instead use a unix domain socket) would be one way to expose things, but it
> would not really offer much security in making it available to only some
> applications - it would differ from chmod'ing the device file itself to be
> world readable & writeable only in that your code would sit there arbitrating
> and mediating use of the device.
>
> To restrict access to only some apps, you'd need to add a unix group (to own
> the device file) and android permission (to assign membership in the group)
> to the android platform.
>
> Or you can keep the device file owned by a group only available to a
> java-style android service you package with the system, and have it check
> that a 3rd-party client app on the other end of the Binder IPC trying to use
> the service holds a desired android permission or otherwise qualifies as
> allowed.
>
> This probably belongs on android-porting rather than android-kernel

Steve Modica
CTO -  Small Tree Communications
www.small-tree.com
phone: 651-209-6509 ext 301