Amar Nath <amarnath.revanna <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Sri,
>
> "Starting kernel..." is indeed the last message that u-boot prints
> just before jumping to
> the kernel entry point, so my understanding is that the your u-boot is
> working just fine.
>
> However, if your uImage is generated with a wrong entry point address
> than what the
> kernel is compiled for, its very much possible that your kernel
> doesn't get executed at all.
>
> I would have first checked if the "Entry Point" address printed by
> u-boot just before
> printing "Starting kernel..." closely matches to the corresponding
> _stext virtual address
> in the System.map file, generated in your kernel directory after the build.
>
> As an example, lets say your system has a RAM memory bank mapped at phys. addr
> 0x80000000 and in your kernel its been mapped to a virtual address of
> 0xC0000000.
>
> In this case, if the "Entry Point" address printed by u-boot is
> 0x80008000, you need to
> ensure _stext has address 0xC0008000 assigned to it in the System.map
> file (Note that
> the offset value '8000' matches here).
>
> If there is a mismatch here, u-boot would be jumping to an invalid
> address where it could
> not find the entry point to your kernel image and hence would fail to boot.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> BR,
> -Amar
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM, sri <sresindhu <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi ,
> >
> > @Sreekanth
> >
> > I have placed debug msgs in u-boot till the place it jumps to kernel
> > and it is fine.
> > And I am not getting "Uncompressing Linux...done, booting the kernel."
> > This msg is from kernel right.
> > my uart configuration looks fine. I have used same uart config as that
> > of working kernel.
> >
> > Steps I follow is:
> >
> > Place uImage in sdcard and then connect to board and pc using usb and
> > try to load uImage using minicom.
> >
> > @ simon,
> > my fs also looks fine.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sri.
> >
> > --

Hi Amar,
the _stext address in my System.map shows c0008000
c0004000 A swapper_pg_dir
c0008000 T __init_begin
c0008000 T _sinittext
c0008000 T _stext
c0008000 T stext
c0008034 t __enable_mmu
c0008060 t __turn_mmu_on
c0008078 t __create_page_tables
c0008124 t __switch_data
c000814c t __mmap_switched
c0008194 t __error_p
c00081b0 t str_p1
c00081e7 t str_p2
c00081ec t __error_a

The zoom3 board is powercyling again and agian.The last debug message before
powercycle is :
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
On reset the uboot logs is seen again:
U-Boot 1.1.4-ge891bbac-dirty (Mar 18 2010 - 17:47:41)

OMAP3630-GP rev 1, CPU-OPP2 L3-200MHz
OMAP3630Zoom3 1.0 Version + mDDR (Boot NAND)
DRAM:  1024 MB
NAND:512 MiB

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Battery levels: main 3951 mV, backup 3078 mV
Hit any key to stop autoboot

Can you figure out what could be the issue.
Thanks,
Ismail