Android is not doing anything related to the radio interface. It just
knows some highlevel parameters about it like signalstrenght,
networktype and provider. Most radio interface implementation details
are abstracted b the Radio Interface Layer called RIL. Android just
sees the RIL and on the otherside of the RIL there is another CPU with
its own operating system that is handling the hole network part. And
this part does the network type switching. Android doesn't know whats
going on there it just knows we are connected to a 3G network, how
good and how many other 2G cells are available android isn't aware of.