In linux source:  \drivers\bluetooth\ath3k.c   there is a function like:

static int ath3k_probe(struct usb_interface *intf,
const struct usb_device_id *id)

because you error code is 5, which is EIO, I think something went wrong
here:

if (request_firmware(&firmware, "ath3k-1.fw", &udev->dev) < 0) {
BT_ERR("Error loading firmware");
return -EIO;
}

I'm sure, you could do some test, check the log and figure it out.
Good luck.

2012/1/26 symbolic <stephen.munni...@nuvation.com>

> If this has already been covered, my apologies - I was not able to
> find the information anywhere.
>
> I am attempting to get a Atheros Bluetooth dongle to work as the
> Bluetooth device under Android.
> (This is connected to a USB hub which is connected to a USB Host port
> on the platform)
> I am using Android 2.3.1_r1  on a Atmel SAM9G35 processor (on an
> evaluation kit for the same)
>
> I have Android working, have the Linux Kernel configured and working
> for it.
>
> I configured the Linux kernel for the Atheros device, but I am getting
> the message:
> ath3k: probe if x-x.x:y.y failed with error -5
>
> My research leads me to believe that the Bluetooth USB device needs to
> have firmware loaded into it (ath3k-1.fw) which I have installed into /
> system/etc/firmware/ath3k-1.fw  (/etc is a link --> /system/etc)
>
> I have also configured the Linux kernel to include the "firmware"
> device (to the best of my ability) which is supposed to supply an
> image of this firmware to the device driver when requested.
>
> So - something is not working,,,
> The relevant code (ath3k driver) is:
> if (request_firmware(&firmware,"ath3k-1.fw",&udev->dev) < 0) {
>    kfree(data);
>    return -EIO
> }
>
> (-EIO is the -5 as seen in the message)
>
> There is also a piece of code later that also would set -EIO, but the
> function it invokes (ath3k_load_firmware) creates a BT_ERR message for
> the specific situation, and I am not seeing any such message)
>
> The Linux kernel is 2.6.35.7
>
> Is this the right forum to ask for help on this issue?
>
> If not, please direct me to the appropriate place to ask about this...

Danny