I'm looking for some help understanding the current USB Host capabilities of
the latest Android smartphones versus an embedded processor running a
standard Linux build.  I've done quite a bit of driver-level Linux
development, but I'm totally new to Android.

My current target system has a portable x86 ComExpress board with quite a
few custom USB slave devices that already have firmware and Linux drivers
written.  I would like to replace the x86 computer with a commercial Android
smartphone.  Originally, I had planned on using an existing docking station
(which already runs Linux) as the central USB host for all devices including
the smartphone.  The phone would be a slave device and communicate with the
devices through messages sent through the dock.

Now, I'm wondering if the phone itself could serve as the USB host without
needing the docking station.  If I go the phone-only route, I would want a
fairly proven solution that would support multiple USB devices as well as
standard Linux USB drivers like usbserial.  (I know FTDI already has an
Android version of the USB driver.)   I don't mind building my own kernel
and integrating drivers, but I don't want to be in completely uncharted
territory as far as kernel hacking goes.  This is something that would need
to work fairly quickly.

What would be the limitations of the USB host capability of the latest
greatest Android phone versus a docking station running a standard Linux USB
stack?

Much thanks in advance,

Dave .