Dave,

It's not a reply, actually; rather a quickie note.

I was also wondering about USB hosting from phone itself. My case is
to use Wimax modem, directly from phone.
i will tell that, http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/index.html
may give you a quick note to usb-hosting-what-and-what-not.

-- neobd