That depends on the kernel, many Android devices use a Lower Power Mode
which loads lpm.rc from the ramdisk instead of the usual init.rc
If that's the case for your device you can try modifying lpm.rc to boot
into android.
But some devices don't load the kernel at all while charging, the
bootloader handles it, so try unpacking the kernel and see if you find
something there.