The Qualcomm MDM9216 might be using a USB HSIC type of interface to
communicate with the modem. The messages sent over this ( hsic device
driver) are often wrapped in propriety packet formats to be understood
between the RIL (user space) and the modem only.

Also nowadays the AT commands might be complimented along with RPC to
communicate with the modem.
Which further makes difficult to tap the AT commands.
(Refer http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1471241 ).

Also i can't comment further unless i know how exactly your LKM was
sniffing the AT commands in goldfish setup.

AFAIK it can be tapped (but dump might not be useful ,being vendor
(qualcomm) specific packets wrapped over AT commands) by reading the
/dev/xxx nodes the RIL uses to communicate with the bus device drivers
(shared mem or HSIC ) after knowing what are those /dev nodes in Nexus 4.

i hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Anirudh