Not all vendors play well to the GPL. Though they use the Linux kernel
(licensed under the GPLv2), they do not release the source code.

That leads me to the question here.

My device comes from a vendor from China. www.gioneemobile.co
They released the device with Android 4.1.2.

In this situation, where there is only the kernel image, can it be used
with Android ROMs that are 4.2+ ??

I tried pushing the image and the kernel modules (just like we'd do on a
regular PC based Linux distribution), but that doesn't help.

How tightly are the kernels tied with the Android ROMs ? Can I run a
kernel shipped with Android ROM 4.1.2, on top of Android ROM 4.2 ?