Hi There

I believe the Android kernels are based on the Linux long term stable
kernel version. I'd expect the next generation of devices to be based on
3.10 which is the latest LTS Kernel release also there seems to be some
activity on that version in the common android kernel public
repo https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/ , this however is just
my wild speculation :)

I'd probably look into whether your driver is back-ported into the LTS
Kernel automatically, alternatively there's the linux-backports projects
which used to be called compat-wireless and provides drivers released on
*newer* kernels backported for usage on *older kernels. *

Linux LTS - https://ltsi.linuxfoundation.org
Backports - https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

Hope that helps
trevd