Hi,

I believe most of the porting efforts on the various hardware platform
will soon get to the point (if not already) of a running system ; the
next step being making sure all the basic functionality is there.
Audio being one of the most important one, since telephony also
depends on it.

Without anything done on that front, we're facing the "using stubbed
audio hardware, no sound will be produced" warning message when Dalvik
starts.

>From what I've read, Android relies on an hardware glue library
libaudio, providing AudioFlinger with the appropriate AudioInterface
implementation to output sound to whatever sound driver the hardware
uses. For example, on the HTC G1/MSM72xx hardware platform, Google
uses http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/hardware/msm7k.git;a=summary

But I think most of the Androids ports are made on hardware that have
ALSA device drivers (OMAP for example). And before 20 different people
start implementing their own libaudio bridging to ALSA, maybe we
should coordinate this community effort. Starting by knowing if
anything has already been started by someone, somewhere :)

If not, I will most likely start working on one, and I foresee that
it's going to be tough, as the only real documentation is the msm7k
libaudio source code itself.

Ideas, comments, suggestions ... and help are most welcome!
- Maxime

PS: of course, if you got audio working without going through this
libaudio stuff, please share your discoveries !