Obviously, there's a process challenge, between the obvious need to
get things to work at all and the desire to submit patches back to the
main Android tree and have them accepted. This is a situation where
"build one to throw away" might have some merit.

This is a team effort. It'd be sad to end up in a situation where some
effort gets duplicated. It'd be even worse to end up in a situation
where some effort is missing and the end goal isn't reached.

It'll be easier to get the relevant patches accepted if they're small,
if they have change descriptions that are actually descriptive, if
some of the design decisions were discussed ahead of time, and if the
overall task of getting patches submitted and accepted could be
tracked in an android-related bug tracker. I've filed
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1449 for that
purpose, we can spin off separate issues in the future.

The roadmap at http://source.android.com/roadmap contains two relevant items:

-the IMF/IME work that is currently scheduled for release during next
quarter is likely to resolve many of the issues around a softkeyboard,
and so much work has been put into it already that it wouldn't make
sense to try to second-guess it before the code is available. Note
that the IMF/IME work doesn't remove the requirement for "hardware"
buttons for call/home/menu/back/end, so those will still need to be
custom-emulated on the FreeRunner (and other devices with a similar
form factor).

-the open-source tree is currently scheduled to be udpated with an
up-to-date version of the source code during this quarter. Because
there's been quite some work done that hasn't been open-sourced yet
and will be part of the update, making significant changes in the
existing open-source tree is likely to cause future integration
headaches, and it'd be better to try to limit ourselves to smaller
changes until the "big" upgrade, to make the future merge easier.

Looking forward to approving OpenMoko-related changes,
JBQ