On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Luca Belluccini
<lucabellucc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I want to create a new device, conforming to Android HAL, I should
> use one of the following approaches:
>   1. App - Runtime Service - lib
>   2. App - Runtime Service - Native Service - lib
>   3. App - Runtime Service - Native Daemon - lib

It depends, most of the time you'll need to do something like:

app -> java api (manager) -> java service -> HAL module -> kernel

Sometimes (it's the case for the sensors), there is an extra native
daemon, but in this particular case, it's an implementation detail
(the sources for that daemon are proprietary).

Sometimes, the "java service", can be replaced directly by a "native
service", thanks to the binder interfaces (they're agnostic to the
languages involved, so a service can even be rewritten from java to
C++ or vice-versa, without breaking compatibility).

In some cases, it is also possible to skip the "java service"
entirely, if the HAL module can handle multiple clients and all the
permissions involved.

It is also possible to have a mix and match, this is the case for the
sensors; the service is used to establish a connection with the
hardware, but all the data moving is done by talking directly to the
HAL module from the the app.

So, in short, there are no rules. It depends on what you're trying to
accomplish.

mathias