I was kind of hoping the framework would have an open transport layer as
such.
Like the transport layer be left for us developers to implement.

May be a generic transport layer such as reading & writing from UART is
helpeful. But could also be done say via I2C or USB or via bluetooth HCI
socket layer or via TCP/IP & HTTP which would then become the internet radio
?
How's that sound ?
Well from the UI perspective, Tuning volume control, RDS, Alternate Channel
Switch I guess would be some standard features in any Radio.
I am not sure, How FM Radio could interact with the generic audio library or
libaudio I would have but things like
recording, or FM transmitter might as well have to be interfaced with
libaudio.
[ I have very little idea on this...]

regards,
Pavan